Monday, March 3, 2014

Oscar Winners!

My Oscar picks went extremely well this year. Without missing two picks in the always challenging short categories, I only missed original screenplay and picture, which I took a risk on, but usually go with the longest running time and do not risk a pick on a film that does not get a screenplay nomination.

Gravity won seven total out of eleven and 12 Years a Slave won three key categories (picture, adapted screenplay and supporting actress) while Philomena, American Hustle, Nebraska, Wolf of Wall Street, and Captain Phillips went home empty-handed. It was also curious that I did not remember any movie previews (a.k.a. trailers) during the commercial breaks.

I’m also proud to announce the winner in my annual contest was Raquel M in California! Congratulations!

Here are the winners from this year’s 86th Academy Awards (a.k.a. Oscars) ceremony with an * by my misses (only four in all categories):

*Best Picture: 12 Years a Slave
My pick was Gravity

Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron (Gravity)

Best Actor: Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyer’s Club)

Best Actress: Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)

Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto (Dallas Buyer’s Club)

Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong’o (12 Years a Slave)

*Best Original Screenplay: Spike Jonze (Her)
My pick was Eric Warren Singer and David O. Russell (American Hustle)

Best Adapted Screenplay: John Ridley, 12 Years a Slave

Best Animated Film: Frozen

Best Score: Gravity

Best Song: “Let It Go” (Frozen)

Best Cinematography: Gravity

Best Visual Effects: Gravity

Best Foreign Film: Italy, The Great Beauty, Paolo Sorrentino, director

Best Documentary Feature: 20 Feet From Stardom

Best Production Design: The Great Gatsby

Best Costume Design: The Great Gatsby

Best Editing: Gravity

Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Dallas Buyer’s Club

Best Sound Editing: Gravity

Best Sound Mixing: Gravity

*Best Animated Short:  Mr.Hublot
I missed with Get a Horse!

Best Documentary Short:  The Lady in Number 6

*Best Live-Action Short:  Helium

I picked The Voorman Problem

No comments: